- Your favorite bread
- Star Light Gardens Heirloom Tomato
- Salt & Pepper
- Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1 cup avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1 egg (cold, not room temperature)
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TS Dijon mustard
- ¼ TS salt
- Crack the cold egg into the bottom of a jar, add all of the other ingredients on top of the
egg, except the oil
- Using a hand/immersion blender, pulse on low speed for a few seconds while you slowly
pour in the oil and allow it combine. Gently move the blender up and down. Once it
starts to emulsify and integrate, switch to high speed, continuing to pulse and lift the
blender until it becomes creamy and fluffy. This takes about 15-30 seconds in total.
- If concerned about potential bacteria: Allow homemade mayonnaise to rest at room
temperature for 24-72 hours before refrigerating.
- Enjoy as desired immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up
to 2 weeks.
Nutrition & Inspiration:
Most store bought mayonnaise is made with canola oil which is high in omega-6 fatty acids.
Some studies show that a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids can raise your risk of
certain diseases and conditions such as Alzheimer’s, obesity, and heart disease. Avocado oil on
the other hand is a heart-healthy oil, high in oleic acid, which is an unsaturated fat. It contains
vitamin E and also helps the body absorb other fat-soluble vitamins. Tomatoes are abundant in
the carotenoid lycopene, a fat-soluble pigment that gives red fruits their color, and shield
against oxidative stress, including UV damage from the sun. Avocado oil is a good source of
monounsaturated fat which has been linked to reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing
HDL (good) cholesterol.